Lactation Support Program
Human Resources, in partnership with the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness, is pleased to offer the Lactation Support Program to help nursing mothers transition back to work more smoothly. This program is available to all UR employees.
Between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Monday–Friday, nursing mothers may use the Massage Therapy Room located in the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness to pump their breast milk. After 11:00 a.m., mothers may use curtained off space located in the women’s locker room. This space is also available 7:30–11:00 a.m. if the Massage Therapy Room is occupied.
The success of this program depends on a few practices:
- Employees must communicate with their supervisors regarding time needed to express milk so that reasonable accommodations may be made to satisfy both the needs of the employee and the department.
- Hourly employees may use their lunch break or accrued personal or vacation time to express breast milk. Employees may also work with supervisors to determine if their work schedule may be adjusted. Consultation with Human Resources may be requested.
- Employees must sanitize the designated space for lactation both before and after use. Anti bacterial wipes will be provided for the use of lactating mothers.
- Employees may not leave expressed milk in the lactation space. Insulated cooler bags to store milk will be provided upon request.
- A sign in sheet will be provided outside of the Massage Therapy Room door.
Resources for Breast Feeding or Pregnant Employees:
- Bon Secours Love and Learn: Bon Secours Hospitals offer classes (many free) to expectant mothers and couples and has a hospital convenient to the University of Richmond as well as around the Richmond area.
- HCA Virginia Classes: HCA Virginia Hospital Group offers a variety of classes (many free) to expectant mothers and couples and has hospitals convenient to the University of Richmond and surrounding Richmond area.
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services/Office of Women’s Health: Offers information regarding the benefits of breastfeeding and instructional pamphlets.
- La Leche League International: Offers information about breastfeeding and parenting.
Please contact URHR at URHR@richmond.edu or 804-289-8747 with questions regarding this program, to request a cooler, or to request temporary access to the Weinstein Center for Recreation and Wellness.