Richmond Home

Health Savings Account (HSA)

An HSA is an account that functions much like an IRA and a medical flexible spending account, where employees can invest money, reduce taxable income for the amount invested, and use the money without penalty for eligible medical expenses. The interest gained over the duration of the account is also tax free.

High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) participants may participate in the HSA. HDHP participants may not participate in the medical flexible spending account (FSA).

2019 Federal HSA Contribution Limits

  • Single - $3,500
  • Family - $7,000
  • Catch up (age 55 and older) - additional $1,000

UR Annual Contribution to HDHP Participants 

(a portion of the annual contribution goes into the account each pay period)

  • Employee only - $500
  • Employee plus dependants - $1,000

HSA Eligibility

Federal regulations require you meet all of the following eligibility requirements to open and contribute to an HSA:

  • Covered under a qualified high deductible health plan on the first day of the month*
  • Not covered by any other health plan, including your spouse’s health insurance
  • Not covered by your own or spouse’s medical Flexible Spending Account (FSA) (unless it qualifies as a“limited purpose” FSA)*
  • Not enrolled in any part of Medicare or Tricare
  • Have not received Veteran’s health benefits in the past 90 days for a non-service connected disability
  • Not claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return

You are not subject to these eligibility requirements to open an HSA with us if you are only transferring funds from an existing HSA.
*Contact your health insurance provider to confirm that your plan is HSA compatible and any FSA for which you are eligible qualifies as “limited purpose.” Health Savings is not able to determine if your health plan is qualified or if your FSA is “limited purpose.”

Investing in an HSA

Contributions to the HSA can be made via payroll deduction and/or directly to the account. Participants are immediately vested in their HSA, and there is no "use it or lose it" stipulation. It's the participant's account; it's portable and can be built on over the years.

Investment Options:

  • Vanguard No-load Mutual Funds - no minimums
  • Debit card from FPS Trust

Learn more about HSAs here.

Enrolling in a Health Savings Account

For more information or to enroll in a Health Savings Account (HSA), complete the HSA Enrollment Form and submit it with a copy of your driver's license to Human Resources. Contact HealthSavings Administrators with any questions at 888-354-0697.

Making Changes to a Health Savings Account

Leaving the University - Next steps with your HSA

When you leave the University, the money in your health savings account is yours to keep, and rolls over year after year. You can continue to use it for qualified medical expenses for you, your spouse, and your tax dependents, and your account will remain open until you choose to close it. Just note that UR has been paying the annual $45 administrative fee for your account, so you'll be charged with the fee each year once you leave.

If you remain enrolled in the high deductible health plan (HDHP), either through a new employer, COBRA, or an individually-purchased insurance policy, then you'll be eligible to contribute to your HSA.

If you have a HDHP through a new employer with an HSA administrator other than HealthSavings Administrators, you can:

  1. Have two health savings accounts
  2. Ask your new employer to contribute to your current health savings account
  3. Roll over money from your current HSA to a new one

If you have a HDHP through an individually-purchased insurance policy or via COBRA, you may continue to contribute money to your HSA online, through payroll deduction, or via check. Your account will not change -- the account number and the debit card(s) will remain the same, and your online access will remain the same. When you login to your account, you'll see your former account, as well as your new individual account.