Life Status Changes
The benefit elections you select during Open Enrollment will apply to your coverage for each Plan Year beginning every January 1st. Generally, you cannot change your elections during a Plan Year; however, you may change your elections during a Plan Year if you experience a "change in status".
The following are considered changes in status:
- Change in Marital Status: This includes a marriage, divorce, legal separation, or death of a spouse.
- Change in Number of Children: This includes the birth, adoption, or placement of a child. It also includes the removal of a child due to death or age limitations.
- Change in Employment Status: This includes a change in employment status of the employee, spouse or same sex domestic partner, or dependent children.
- Change in Place of Residency: This includes a change in the place of residence of an employee and/or dependents.
- Age Limitations for Coverage: This includes the ages at which employees and/or dependents age out of varying University benefits.